Due to time constraints and unexpected costs, many cancer patients are unable to access fertility preservation procedures prior to undergoing treatment. The Power of Hope Program has been designed to help change this reality for men who wish to pursue sperm preservation. Fertile Future has partnered with fertility treatment facilities across Canada to increase access to fertility preservation services for cancer patients.
Female cancer patients who qualify for the Power of Hope Program receive:
1) compassionate pharmaceutical product;
2) reduced clinic fees of at least 33% for egg retrieval and egg or embryo cryopreservation, and
3) Fertile Future will reimburse qualifying female patients up to $3,000* on a sliding scale to help assist in accessing these vital services
Individual income between $0-$50,000 will be reimbursed up to $3,000
Individual income between $50,001-$99,999 will be reimbursed up to $2,000
Household income between $100,000 and $125,000 will be reimbursed up to $1,500
*Please contact your individual fertility clinic to discuss the possibility of compassionate medication if your insurance company does not cover medication.
To apply for the Power of Hope Cost Reduction Program, please complete and submit the forms listed below
Services Available for Cost Reduction for Women
Egg Freezing A minimum 1/3 (33.3%) discount off the regular price of one (1) egg retrieval, adjuvant egg cryo-preservation and first year of storage at an approved Power of Hope fertility clinic.
Embryo Freezing: A minimum of 1/3 (33.3%) discount off the regular price of one (1) egg retrieval, adjuvant standard fertilization, embryo cryo-preservation and first year of storage at an approved Power of Hope fertility clinic.
Program Criteria for Women
In order to be eligible for cost reduction, each of the following program criteria must be met :
- Fertility Centre administering fertility preservation treatment must be a member of the Power of Hope program.
- Individual income of $100,000 or less, or household income of $125,000 or less.
- Confirmation from applicant’s oncologist indicating that cancer treatment presents a risk to fertility and that they support fertility preservation as safe and appropriate for applicant.
- If the patient has had a history of cancer and treatment has already occurred:
- At least one year must have passed since completing that treatment, and;
- Additional cancer treatment is planned imminently that will further affect fertility
- Applicant must be 40 years of age or younger.
- Proof from insurance company (if applicable) that drugs and procedures are not covered.
- Applicant must be a Canadian Citizen or have Permanent Resident status.
- Applicant must have a valid provincial health card.
- Applicant has not previously benefited from the Power of Hope program.
- No more than one year has elapsed since fertility preservation was performed.
Services/Costs Not Covered for Women
- Annual storage fees charged by fertility centre after first year
- Any additional laboratory work or procedures required or recommended
- Additional blood testing required
- Implantation or other future procedures
- Oncology treatment and adjuvant expenses
Please Note: Average storage cost can range from $250 to $500 annually.