Due to time constraints and unexpected costs, many cancer patients are unable to access fertility preservation procedures prior to undergoing treatment. The Power of Hope Program has been designed to help change this reality for men who wish to pursue sperm preservation. Fertile Future has partnered with fertility treatment facilities across Canada to increase access to fertility preservation services for cancer patients.
Male cancer patient that qualify for the program will receive a reimbursement for sperm cryo-preservation of up to $350.00.
To apply for the Power of Hope Cost Reduction Program, please complete and submit the forms listed below.
Services Available for Cost Reduction for Men
Sperm Freezing: One (1) sperm collection at an approved Power of Hope fertility centre. This includes analysis, freezing and one (1) year of storage of sample.
Program Criteria for Men
In order to be eligible for cost reduction, each of the following program criteria must be met :
- Fertility Centre administering fertility preservation treatment must be a member of the Power of Hope program.
- Individual income of $50,000 or less, or household income of $75,000 or less.
- Confirmation from applicant’s oncologist indicating that cancer treatment presents a risk to fertility and that they support fertility preservation as safe and appropriate for applicant.
- If the patient has had a history of cancer and treatment has already occurred:
- At least one year must have passed since completing that treatment, and;
- Additional cancer treatment is planned imminently that will further affect fertility.
- Applicant must be 40 years of age or younger.
- Proof from insurance company (if applicable) that drugs and procedures are not covered.
- Applicant must be a Canadian Citizen or have Permanent Resident status.
- Applicant must have a valid provincial health card.
- Applicant has not previously benefited from the Power of Hope program.
- No more than one year has elapsed since fertility preservation was performed.
Services/Costs Not Covered for Men
- Annual storage fees charged by fertility centre after first year
- Any additional laboratory work or procedures required or recommended
- Additional blood testing required
- Implantation or other future procedures
- Travel costs
- Oncology treatment and adjuvant expenses
Please Note: Average storage cost can range from $250 to $500 annually.